The Minerals Council South Africa published its annual comprehensive collection of industry information in the Facts and Figures 2020 Book.Notwithstanding the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020, including the lockdown on the industry and the economy from March 2020, the mining industry:
- Contributed R371.9 billion to GDP (2019: R376.4 billion)
- Employed 452 866 people (2019: 462,039)
- Paid employees R151.7 billion (2019: R144.4 billion) and contributed R26.2 billion (2019: R22.7 billion) to PAYE on behalf of employees
- Paid R34.7 billion in value added taxes (2019: R36.9 billion) and R11.8 billion in royalties (2019: R8.6 billion)
- Saw primary mineral sales amounting to R609.8 billion (2019: R552.4 billion)
- Exported R450.6 billion worth of minerals (2019: R361.7 billion)
The publication was curated by the Minerals Council’s economics team.